What about the delicious baked potato? To some, it is a simple side dish, while to others it is a hearty meal. Either way, baked potatoes are inexpensive and also you can make them at home very easily. A lot of people are asking about how to make an absolutely perfect baked potato every time. Actually, it is very important to know how to bake potatoes in the correct way. In this article, I hope to give all the main steps to do it without any mistake. So I think here you can find the answers to your questions about baking potatoes. So keep reading.
How to bake potatoes in the oven?
The perfect baked potato is crispy on the outside and pillowy in the middle. Cracked open and still steaming, it’s ready to receive anything from a sprinkle of cheese to last night’s stew.
Actually, baking potatoes in the oven does require a little more time than zapping them in the microwave. You can easily throw a few potatoes in the oven, and also you can carry on with your after-work routine until they are ready to eat. I think it is very important to set a timer. So do not forget to set it. Then let’s see how to bake potatoes in the oven. When you are baking potatoes in the oven, what are the ingredients and equipment that you need? What are the steps of baking potatoes? And how long to bake potatoes?
- Russet potatoes
- Olive oil
Types of equipment for how to bake potatoes
- A fork
- A baking sheet covered in foil
How to bake a potato?-Instructions
- You have to heat the oven to 425°F. You should arrange a rack in the middle of the oven. You can heat the oven to 425ºF while you are preparing the potatoes.
- Before baking the potatoes you have to scrub the potatoes clean. You can scrub the potatoes thoroughly under running water and you have to pat them dry. As you know, you do not have to remove the eyes, but you can trim away any blemishes with the help of a paring knife.
- Then you have to rub the potatoes with olive oil. Actually, you can rub the potatoes all over with a little olive oil. And it is easiest to use your hands to do this. But if you want, you can use a pastry brush too. A pastry brush also will work fine.
- After that, you have to sprinkle the potatoes on all sides with salt and pepper. So what is the next step?
- With a fork, stab each potato in the center once, then flip it over and stab it on the other side. Actually, this allows steam to escape from the baking potatoes.
- After that, you can bake the potatoes. You can bake the potatoes directly on the oven rack. If not, you can place them a few inches apart on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. You have to bake the potatoes for about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Also, it is very important to flip them over every 20 minutes or so and check them for doneness by piercing them with a fork.
Tips for how to bake potatoes
Cooking the potatoes directly on the oven rack assures that you will get an evenly cooked potato with crispy skin.
You can microwave the potatoes for 3 to 4 minutes in the microwave before baking to cut down the baking time. Actually, cooking in the microwave for a few minutes before placing it in the oven can help to keep the potato’s original texture.
For softer skins, you can wrap the potatoes in foil before baking. Not only that, but also you can brine the potatoes for extra-crispy skins. Therefore you should stir 2 tablespoons of kosher salt into 1/2 cup water until dissolved.
Drizzling with olive oil and sprinkling with salt before baking will allow the skin to get nice and crisp too. Then you can soak each potato in the brine. Do not be tempted to wrap each potato in aluminum foil as that will steam the potatoes instead of roasting them.
How to serve the baked potatoes?
You can remove the baked potatoes from the oven. Then you can split the baked potatoes in the oven open and serve with your favorite toppings.
How do you find the Best Potato for Baked Potatoes?
If you bake potatoes in the oven, Russets are the best. Russet potatoes, also sometimes called Idaho potatoes. Russets are also usually large. It is about 6 to 8 ounces. Also, the skins are thicker and the starchy interior of Russet has a sweet flavor and fluffy texture when baked. One potato per person will make a good side dish or meal on its own.
What do you need to do before you cook potatoes?
First of all, you should scrub the potatoes thoroughly under running water. You can use a vegetable brush to do this. And you have to pat them dry. Actually, you do not need to remove the eyes. But you can trim away any blemishes with a paring knife.
How Long Should I Cook a Baked Potato?
This is a very important thing. So the time period is about 50 to 60 minutes at 425°F (220°C). Actually, it takes an hour to cook, which requires planning ahead. If you want to get a meal on the table in a hurry, there is actually a method you can employ. You can use the microwave to speed up the cooking process. It will cut the baking time in half.
How to store a baked potato?
There can be many ways to store oven-baked potatoes. So what is the best way to store a baked potato? You can refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. You have to place them directly on the oven rack in a 325°F oven until warmed through, to reheat the potatoes.